Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Summer Recap...Oh how I have failed the Blog World!

Needless to say I am sucking at this blog thing. See, I am back in school completing my BSN. This whole BSN thing is really wreaking havoc on my blogging, living, appetite and alcohol consumption (kidding....maybe), and everything that falls in between. I am ready to get this behind me and move on with life. Blah!

With that said, I shall do a recap of our summer. This is imperative because these days I can not even remember last week. So keep in mind, this is how I THINK our summer went.....

The past two summers have been very atypical as to how our family normally rolls. I work a lot during the summers and we have two nephews that come into our home for the summer months. This year, Jake was our Manny and watched after Madelyn and Aulton while Donald and I worked. I used to change Jake's diapers (a very long time ago), and I remind him of that fact all of the time. He was really my first child now that I think about it.

Jake with us in Colorado this summer

Our other nephew, Jared, has been coming to our house for the past two summers to work with my husband. He has become our child as well. We love having him at our house and have tried to convince  him to move in with us on a permanent basis....but for some reason he declines (hhmmmmm...). We had the pleasure of visits from his girlfriend Megan throughout the summer, and I must say, he has outdone himself. 

Sorry Jared, I had to steal this from FB. Which reminds me, why have you not supplied me with a picture? I feed you and love you and yet I get no picture. 


Donald and I have decided that we never want the Nephs to stop coming to our house every summer. We have yet to come up with a plan regarding convincing their wives-yet-to-be the importance of this living arrangement. Still in the works.

Donald, myself, Jake, Aulton and Madelyn went to Colorado this summer (Jared had to stay home and be a grown-up and work. Not fair!!). We were brave/crazy and took a road trip from Oklahoma to Colorado with two kids under the age of 6 and a nutty teenage boy. What were we thinking?! Actually, it turned out great and we want to go again soon. Our route went through Estes Park, then to Winter Park, to Aspen, then to Breckenridge and home.

Throughout the trip we made some serious mental notes, observations, and opinions:

1) Aspen is beautiful but entirely too snooty for our taste
2) Next time, we need a Suburban, Short Bus, or personal train to make our voyage more comfy
3)There are NO dinosaur tracks in Western Oklahoma....and I don't care how long you look for them in    120 degree weather....they...do....not....exist!
4) One must check the locks on the balcony door before everyone else goes to bed. Failure to do so will  result in a long, cold night on the balcony (Jake!)
5) Who would live in the panhandle of Oklahoma? 
6) Do not have the attitude of "oh we will find a hotel somewhere between western Kansas and Denver...no need to make a reservation in advance" when the whole southern part of Colorado is on fire with thousands of evacuees.  





Sweet baby Madelyn turned 4. I said "4"....nuts. I can not believe she is 4. It is unreal. I cried. I am still crying. For a fleeting moment I thought "we must have another baby". Then I thought about how much I love my sleep and my sanity and I got over it within 30 minutes or so. Whew...that was a close one! Thank God I cannot ovulate that quickly or I would have found myself in quite a predicament. Kidding, of course :/

So I asked Madelyn what kind of birthday she wanted. She informed me that she wanted a Power Ranger Rapunzel birthday. So like any nutso momma and daddy would do....that is exactly what we had.



Both kiddos started school a few weeks ago. Madelyn is still at the same school, and Aulton started a new school (Madelyn will join him next year). So far everything has gone really well. Aulton is getting ready to start Cub Scouts and Madelyn is wanting to do Tap/Jazz. Let the fun, and overwhelming schedule, begin!



No comments:

Post a Comment